During our last Sports Emergency Care White Paper Session, session leader Peter Bonadonna, EMT-P provided a presentation on pneumothorax that received exceptional reviews. Here, session moderator Mike Cendoma, MS, ATC provides three take-home points from the presentation that all athletic trainers should know:
- The most common cause of pneumothorax in athletics is blunt-force trauma, resulting in closed pneumothorax. Therefore, the risk of a secondary life-threatening tension pneumothorax in athletes is considerable.
- Athletic trainers should have a low transport threshold for athletes that present with shortness of breath or rapid shallow breathing following blunt-force trauma.
- When an athlete presents with signs and symptoms of pneumothorax, athletic trainers should request emergency transport via ALS due to the significant risk of tension pneumothorax.
You can view this session’s recording and slide presentation from the link provided.
Here is what your colleagues are saying about Sports Medicine Concepts’ FREE Sports Emergency Care White Paper Sessions:
- “I Love Your White Paper CE Sessions!”
- “Thank you for providing these opportunities.”
- “Great practical information in a concise time frame”
- “The presenter was great and I really enjoyed the session. The info is practical and to the point. The procedures replicate best practice.”
Why don’t you plan to join us February 29, 2016 for our discussion on Management of the Equipment-Laden Lacrosse Player? Space is limited for these FREE CE sessions so Click Here Now to see the session schedule and register today!
Pragmatic Concussion Policy and Management Practices
Sports Medicine Concepts’ Evidence-Based Practice Concussion Management Specialist Credential Training.
Here is sample of what your colleagues said following completion of our last session:
- “I appreciate that this is an advanced level program and not just another basic review”
- “This course is excellent!”
- “In my 25 years of practice, this is in my top ten list of educational programs”
- ” I have never before had the foundations of concussion concepts explained in such great detail and with such expertise”
- “I didn’t have to miss travel or work”
Plan to join our next session: Monday, March 14 – Thur, March 17, 2016. Space is limited so Click Here Now to learn more and register today!
Best Practice Emergency Action Planning Made Easy!
The very same TeamEMSoft application that elite medical teams use to manage, share, update and document their emergency action plans and conditional protocols is now available to all athletic trainers.